The NRVBA’s 2022 Beginner’s Beekeeper Course (BBC) is now open for registration. The course will span across one in-person session and one virtual session as follows:
Session 1: Saturday, February 26th, 2022 at Spikenard Farm and Honeybee Sanctuary, 9 AM – 4 PM. Some drinks and snacks will be provided. Students should bring their own lunch or additional food and drinks if desired. The address is 401 Hideaway Lane, Floyd, VA 24091.
Session 2: Saturday, April 9th, 2022 (virtual and recorded), 9a-12p
While we are currently intending to have the in-person session, due to the current Covid situation, we may need to cancel in-person sessions in the future. At a minimum, virtual instruction will be offered. Hands-on instruction at an apiary may also be offered in early April, health concerns permitting.
*** For any in-person instruction, masks covering the nose and mouth AND proof of vaccination will be required. This is not optional and those with any reservations or restrictions should NOT sign up for this course. ***
Topics for the course will include:
- Intro / Terminology
- Bee Biology / Lifecycle
- Diseases and Pests
- Site Selection, Getting Bees, Tools, Woodenware
- First Hive and Install
- Varroa and Options
- Hive Evaluation
- Seasonal Beekeeping
- Tips and Q&A
The deadline to register is Monday, February 21, 2022. Sign-ups will be limited to 40 individuals. The cost for the course is:
– Single attendee: $50, including a 1 year membership to the NRVBA (NOTE: current members receive a $10 discount off the regular price).
– Up to (max) one additional attendee / family member: additional $25 (includes family membership to the NRVBA; current family membership holders receive a $15 total discount).
– Student price: $20
TO REGISTER FOR THE COURSE: Please follow the below instructions carefully.
1. Payment can be sent by one of three methods; it is recommended to include a note with your name(s) and info:
– Send a Paypal payment to firstname.lastname@example.org
– If your bank supports Zelle, send a Zelle payment to email@example.com
– By check payable to NRVBA, mailed to:
PO Box 6
Pilot, VA 24138
2. REGARDLESS of payment type sent, ALL enrollees should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org giving full name(s), contact information including email and phone, and how payment was sent. Please make sure to include your contact information to ensure your registration is completed properly.
For questions or more information, please email email@example.com.
Here’s a recording of a previous information session that includes general information about beekeeping and the course: