The NRVBA’s 2023 Beginner’s Beekeeper Course (BBC) is now open for registration. The course will include one in-person all-day session as follows:
********** PLEASE NOTE: The date of the course has been changed!!! *********
Date: Saturday, February 25th, 2023
Location: Christiansburg Recreation Center at 1600 N. Franklin St., Christiansburg, VA 24073
Time: 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Hands-on instruction at an apiary will also be offered later in the spring as early as weather permits. Date(s) are TBD.
Topics for the course will include:
- Intro / Terminology
- Bee Biology / Lifecycle
- Diseases and Pests
- Site Selection, Getting Bees, Tools, Woodenware
- First Hive and Install
- Varroa and Options
- Hive Evaluation
- Seasonal Beekeeping
- Tips and Q&A
The deadline to register is Wednesday, February 22, 2022. Sign-ups will be limited to 50 individuals. The cost for the course is:
– Single attendee: $50, including a 1 year membership to the NRVBA (NOTE: current members receive a $10 discount off the regular price).
– Up to (max) one additional attendee / family member: additional $25 (includes family membership to the NRVBA; current family membership holders receive a $15 total discount).
– Student price: $20
TO REGISTER FOR THE COURSE: Please follow the below instructions carefully.
1. Payment can be sent by one of three methods; it is recommended to include a note with your name(s) and info:
– Send a Paypal payment to firstname.lastname@example.org OR
– If your bank supports Zelle, send a Zelle payment to email@example.com OR
– By check payable to NRVBA, mailed to:
PO Box 6
Pilot, VA 24138
2. REGARDLESS of payment type sent, ALL enrollees should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org giving full name(s), contact information including email and phone, and how payment was sent. Please make sure to include your contact information to ensure your registration is completed properly.
For questions or more information, please email email@example.com.
Here’s a recording of a previous information session that includes general information about beekeeping and the course: